[Icecast-dev] Writing Alpha Tags into the comments of an ogg stream

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Fri Jul 20 14:45:03 PDT 2007

"roger" <roger at eskimo.com> wrote:

> Figured it out.  Using Ices, I can either write to stdin or a file.
>

> Using a file method:
>
> $ cat metadata
> artist=Eugene Oregon
> title=Scanning
>
> $ ps -ax |grep ices
>
> $ kill -SIGUSR1 [pid of ices]

I *think* you can tell Ices to generate a file containing it's process ID.
(it's awhile since I messed with Ices 2.x).

If this is true, you could simply do something like:

kill -USR1 `cat ices.pid`

(assuming USR1 is the right signal, I thought it was USR2 actually but I've
not looked.)

> Writing to stdin method:
>
> [snip]
> $cat metadata >
> http://localhost:8000/admin/updatemetadata.xsl?mount=/stream.ogg

I'm pretty sure you can't do this.  HTTP is a protocol, not a device, so
you'd have to pipe to a program which could talk HTTP and turn your standard
input into something usable by Icecast.

But I'm pretty sure you can send standard output to Ices' standard input and
get it to read it too.  But I've not ever done this so have not looked at
it.

Geoff.