[Icecast-dev] shout python

William K. Volkman wkvsf at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 25 12:02:55 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 12:38, Daniel Holth wrote:

> Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I discovered shout-python. I use it to straem theora to an icecast
> > server. But works quite right except some times, it hangs, with no
> > reasons. I built it against libshout 2.2 The server i an IceCast
> > 2.3.1
> >
> > I have some notes:
> >
> > The stream type, in the example could be vorbis | mp3. Wouldn't it
> > be the time to change it to ogg | mp3? As well as theora can be in
> > a ogg.
> >
> > Is there any known issues streaming ogg/theora to an icecast
> > server?
> >
> > Thank you. Unfortunately, I am not a C/Python developper yet, and
> > can neither fix the bugs my self (If there are) nor ehance the
> > software. The best I can do is to test and report some bugs if
> > there are.
>
> When I wrote shoutpy (a boost.python alternative to shout-python) I
> had to hack libshout so that it could time both ogg/theora and
> ogg/vorbis, the combined stream being recognized as something like
> ogg/vorbis+theora. Otherwise, libshout would not be able to stream
> data at the same speed at which it is being played back. I have a
> vague recollection of hanging libshout myself.

The latest libshout has my changes to correctly enable Theora
timing as well as providing timing for OGG Speex.  I unfortunately
am really busy right now so can't investigate shout-python.
btw. the type is already internally OGG with the VORBIS type
deprecated but supported.  My streams appear to be working
fine so if you could clarify the conditions that hangs
occur under, what OS are you using, version of python,
what exactly is being streamed (mp3, Vorbis, Theora/Vorbis),
that might narrow the search down.

HTH,
William.