[Icecast-dev] metadata sent from windows based system

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Wed Oct 6 18:30:22 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 23:36, oddsock wrote:
> seems like a lot of queries like this have come up lately...what's the
> status of vorbis stream re-writing in the trunk ? Was this something that
> got merged in or still remains in the kh branch ?  I've always thought that
> being able to update the metadata via the admin interface for all formats
> was a requirement we should meet.  What can we do to get this logic in the
> trunk ?

Vorbis stream rewriting is desirable for other reasons (to ensure the ogg
stream is valid, mostly - particularly when switching clients between
streams). You could build metadata updates on top of that, but I don't think
that's a good idea - we have a sensible way for that to work (the source
clients send the metadata updates), and I haven't seen any compelling reason
for metadata updates to come from elsewhere.

I think most of the questions about this are simply because people want to
know how to do it - I haven't seen any sign of people disliking the current
mechanism, particularly - have you?

(Longer-term, we want a better way to do the metadata updates for vorbis
WITHOUT starting a new stream, but since clients would need to support that,
it's not a simple thing to change).

Mike