[Icecast-dev] metadata sent from windows based system

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Thu Oct 7 11:49:23 PDT 2004

At 08:30 PM 10/6/2004, you wrote:
>On Wednesday 06 October 2004 23:36, oddsock wrote:
> > seems like a lot of queries like this have come up lately...what's the
> > status of vorbis stream re-writing in the trunk ? Was this something that
> > got merged in or still remains in the kh branch ?  I've always thought that
> > being able to update the metadata via the admin interface for all formats
> > was a requirement we should meet.  What can we do to get this logic in the
> > trunk ?
>
>Vorbis stream rewriting is desirable for other reasons (to ensure the ogg
>stream is valid, mostly - particularly when switching clients between
>streams). You could build metadata updates on top of that, but I don't think
>that's a good idea - we have a sensible way for that to work (the source
>clients send the metadata updates), and I haven't seen any compelling reason
>for metadata updates to come from elsewhere.
>
>I think most of the questions about this are simply because people want to
>know how to do it - I haven't seen any sign of people disliking the current
>mechanism, particularly - have you?

yes, definately.  For instance, I've gotten very recent suggestions for
providing more methods of updating the metadata in oddcast via external
programs.  Mostly from people running their own or proprietary playlist
automation software...Those tend to provide ways to communicate data to
external apps like source clients, but pretty much do this only via a HTTP
request.  So I'd need to provide a HTTP interface into oddcast to handle
these types of metadata updates for vorbis streams.  If this was
implemented in icecast, then it becomes a common feature that can be
utilized across the board.  Add onto that the fact that in many situations,
the applications wanting to inject the metadata either don't have access to
the source client interface or may need to support multiple source client
types.  For these situations, a nice clean consistent interface for
updating metadata is a very nice thing to have.

And to me, it's easier to just have it be implemented in icecast, rather
than having to explain to everyone that asks, why they can't update the
vorbis metadata the way they do it with mp3 metadata, and then proceed to
give them suggestions on ways they can do it depending on which type of
source client they are using.

oddsock