[Icecast-dev] metadata sent from windows based system

Greg J. Ogonowski greg at orban.com
Wed Oct 6 01:58:57 PDT 2004

Hello-

The best way to do title/artist update is through an ip socket.
The playout system should provide the title/artist information through an
ip socket to the encoder that receives this information and passes it to
the Icecast2 server.

We have an AAC/HE AAC/aacPlus encoder that works with Icecast2 servers and
accepts title/artist metadata in this manner. (Since these features were
recently added, they are not indicated on our website yet.)

http://www.orban.com/orban/products/stream/1010_overview.html

Test streams available upon request.

Most professional playout systems use this method.  For security, the
encoder, or source, is configured to accept a connection from a user
defined ip address and socket.  There is no username or password
required.  This method provides near real-time updates, at least as fast as
the playout system can provide the metadata.

Hope this helps.
-greg.

At 01:31 2004-10-06, =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Nagy_Gergely_-_K=E9k_Duna_R=E1di=F3?=
wrote:
>Hello Everybody,
>
>We develop a Windows based radio broadcast system for professional radios
>and we would like to implant an interface in this system to make it able
>to automatically update metadata of an OGG (!) stream (recorded from the
>radio) sent to an Icecast 2.0.2 server.
>We read about the
>
>curl --user admin:hackme
>'http://ourseverIP:8000/admin/metadata?mount=/ourstream.ogg&mode=updinfo&song=ourArtist_name+Title'
>
>What do you suggest for a method for updating metadata if we want to
>update it from a Windows based program (which would send information from
>our system to the listener's winamp/xmms/etc. about the actually played song).
>Should we use curl? I don't know if it is allowed to implant curl to our
>prog (or?), or is there an other solution for Windows based progs to send
>metadata to icecast202 with ogg stream...?
>Is there a suggested solution for our problem?
>Thanx:
>Gergely Nagy
>

>PS: Hello Karl, does this update also work for kh48? We could not update
>metadata on kh48 with enabled "vorbis-updates" :
>
>curl --user admin:hackme
>'http://ourseverIP:8000/admin/metadata?mount=/ourstream.ogg&mode=updinfo&song=ourArtist_name+Title'

Greg J. Ogonowski
VP Product Development