[Icecast-dev] osx and icecast

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Mon Nov 29 00:21:00 PST 2004

brian lorraine wrote:

> Here's the siutation. Macamp has now gone bunk and I need to broadcast
> my dj show from my home to a server that has NullSoft shoutcast. The
> dj's normally use winamp's shoutcast plugin to broadcast to the
> shoutcast server.
>
> Q1) Is ICECAST the program I need to send my signal to another
> sever... or is it IceS that i'm looking for?

Ices would be more along the lines of what you want, but ices 0.4 (which is
the one that does MP3) doesn't handle live input.  I've heard of something
called nicecast which can apparently do live shows, but I know absolutely
nothing about it.  If you just want simple line input, you might try
darkice (darkice.sourceforge.net) but I'm not sure if it compiles under
osx.

> Q2) If the answer to Q1 is "IceS", can I send my broadcast to a
> nullsoft server. I using icecast as a server is supposedly compatibile
> with winamp/shoutcast clients sending their signal to it... but is the
> reverse true? Can the shoutcast SERVER take a signal from an icecast
> client?

Technically no, since shoutcast and icecast use different protocols.  But
ices 0.4 supports both protocols, as does darkice.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <geoff at hitsandpieces.net>
Phone: +61-418-96-5590
MSN: geoff at acbradio.org

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html