[icecast-dev] more on default values....

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Mon May 17 08:28:24 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 16:14, oddsock wrote:

> >Since we know the bitrate of the stream, is there a reason to have the
> >buffer size config parameter be in bytes?  I should probably be in
> >tenths of a second or some such more appropriate unit.  Let the code do
> >the math, instead of the humans.
>
> well, we know the *reported* bitrate of the stream...although, we don't do
> any decoding of the stream to determine the bitrate...so it would seem iffy
> at best to reliably get the "bitrate" of the stream to perform this
> calculation...unless I am missing something...And that calculation also
> might get even more complicated when we are talking about mutliple codec
> streams (OggTheora+Vorbis)...

VBR mp3 as well, 1 Meg is far too much for current audio players, most
default to 128k buffer with a prebuffer of 50%.  That's why I made the
default burst in the kh tree 64k.  No doubt video+audio streams should
have more, but you have the added issue of key frame handling.

As long as a reasonable threshold is set, as you still have network lag
considerations for some listeners.

karl.