[icecast-dev] more on default values....

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Mon May 17 08:08:30 PDT 2004

At 09:56 AM 5/17/2004, you wrote:
>Hi:
>
>Firstly, I'm one of those people who thoroughly reads through a config file
>before firing up the server, so the final decision won't affect me much
>from a server admin point of view.  From the point of view of a listener,
>I'd be happy enough for burst on connect to be the default, providing the
>buffer isn't too big.  I'd also like to see it be configurable, as if it's
>measured in bytes, the amount of latency will depend on the bit rate.  I am
>constantly frustrated at shoutcast's 1 meg buffer, which runs to several
>minutes at 16kbps for example.

yes, this is exactly the case..it is completely configurable.  It's
actually based off the client queue size (<queue-size> param in the config)
since the source buffer size and the client queue size are really in lock
step with each other.  In this case, the source buffer size is defined as
50% of the client queue size.  This is because when the client first
connects, if burst-on-connect is enabled, the source will take the entire
source buffer and send it to the client.    The source buffer must be less
than the client buffer, otherwise icecast could fill the entire client
queue in one shot and cause the client to be terminated due to lagging
(icecast currently determines lagging by detecting when the client queue
buffer fills up).  Anyway, this is a long way of saying, yes, it is
configurable and build that way because the hard-coded/unchangeable 1MB
buffer in Shoutcast is extremely frustrating.

oddsock