[icecast-dev] trouble in nullsoft land.

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Sun Mar 7 15:16:38 PST 2004

On Mar 7, 2004, at 4:36 PM, oddsock wrote:

> well, I'm not sure that's the reasoning...
>
> from Tom P :
> "i'm making changes to yp which will detect the presence of mp3pro
> within a non-encapsulated stream and prohibit its listing. nsv/nsa is
> an open protocol...........

What's the purpose of this NSV protocol?

Is it some sort of container protocol that Nullsoft is pushing as some
"standard" in audio webcasting?

I'm trying really hard not to get into a soapbox, but why is it that
the audio streaming community has such a hard-on for so many protocols.
I'm not taking about codecs, I'm talking about ways to get the content
from point A to point B.

Off the top of my head, we have:
ICY vs. HTTP.
UDP vs. inline metadata
RTP/SDP vs. TCP
This YP who hates that YP
Poor protocol documentation on almost all of the above.
Spite on a policy level between software designers (nullsoft vs.
icecast vs. $codec etc.)

And how many RFCs or IETF drafts are written on the subject? A quick
search reveals SDP/RTP RFCs and _that's it_. I'm of the opinion that
streaming audio on the Internet is neither as "free" or as "open" as
people think it is. Everyone is hold up in their own sandbox, as it
were, and it's just being perpetuated.

/dale