[icecast-dev] Howto recieve a header or something for icecast stations

Frank icecast at nouse.de
Wed Apr 14 14:20:26 PDT 2004

Hi,

Sorry for my newbie question, but I can not find it documented anywhere and
I am too lazy to browse other peoples code :-).
I want to implement shoutcast/icecast listening support for my app. It did
not seem to be any problem with shoutcast, but playing around with some
icecast stations tonight I found that I am not able to receive any plaintext
headers when first opening a stream. Some ogg stations present metainfo in
the ogg format when connecting with which is fine for me, but some stations
do not present any info at all. They start with the raw mp3 or ogg data. No
header nothing. So can you please advice me what I am doing wrong? Is there
a special request I need to send to get something like a header from the
icecast server? Is there a document that explains the client request
handling? Thank you and regards