[icecast-dev] Howto recieve a header or something for icecast stations

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Wed Apr 14 16:47:18 PDT 2004

At 04:20 PM 4/14/2004, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Sorry for my newbie question, but I can not find it documented anywhere and
>I am too lazy to browse other peoples code :-).
>I want to implement shoutcast/icecast listening support for my app. It did
>not seem to be any problem with shoutcast, but playing around with some
>icecast stations tonight I found that I am not able to receive any plaintext
>headers when first opening a stream. Some ogg stations present metainfo in
>the ogg format when connecting with which is fine for me, but some stations
>do not present any info at all. They start with the raw mp3 or ogg data. No
>header nothing. So can you please advice me what I am doing wrong? Is there
>a special request I need to send to get something like a header from the
>icecast server? Is there a document that explains the client request
>handling? Thank you and regards

icecast will keep track of the HTTP headers sent by the source encoder on
initial connection.  These headers usually contain the icy-* ice-* headers
that provide information about the stream.  I suppose it's possible for a
source encoder to NOT send any headers, and thus no stream headers would be
sent to connected listening clients...although I thought at LEAST the
Server: HTTP response header should be sent with every request....and also
the Content-type header should also be sent...Are you SURE the servers your
connecting to are icecast servers ? if so, give us some examples...

oddsock