[icecast-dev] proposal: new library, libicecommon

Brendan Cully brendan at xiph.org
Sat Apr 3 09:10:14 PST 2004

On Friday, 02 April 2004 at 22:19, oddsock wrote:
> my proposal is that we take all the icecast/ices shared modules (which
> currently consist of AVL, HTTPP, LOG, NET, THREAD, TIMING) and bundle them
> into a single library, which I propose to be called, libicecommon.
> This

I agree with you up to this point - having all these tiny modules in
one place would be a lot more convenient.

> library will be kept separately and will be required to be installed BEFORE
> icecast is built.  Similar to the dependency on libshout that ices has.

But I'm not sure about this. There's nothing in those libraries of any
use to anything but icecast code itself, so I don't see why it should
be installed on users' systems. It's true that the code is used in a
couple of different icecast places, but I don't think it's large
enough to warrant being an additional end-user dependency. As far as I
can tell this just sacrifices user convenience for developer
convenience, which IMHO is usually a bad trade.

I'd vote to merge the modules into one, but otherwise either keep the
status quo until subversion gets upgraded, or maybe add a checkout
script. It's a nuisance to check out three things (iceutil, m4, and
your project) to work on one, but it's not that much of a nuisance,
and checkout isn't a frequent operation.

-b