[icecast-dev] proposal: new library, libicecommon

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Fri Apr 2 22:42:44 PST 2004

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 10:19:43PM -0600, oddsock wrote:

> in the new Subversion repository, they are still kept as separate modules,
> however, there is currently not a way to "link related modules" so you
> could do a single checkout of "icecast" and have it get the icecast module,
> plus all related sub-modules.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It's a little more complicated than that, but essentially true.

> my proposal is that we take all the icecast/ices shared modules (which
> currently consist of AVL, HTTPP, LOG, NET, THREAD, TIMING) and bundle them
> into a single library, which I propose to be called, libicecommon.  This
> library will be kept separately and will be required to be installed BEFORE
> icecast is built.  Similar to the dependency on libshout that ices has.

I agree combining the helper modules makes sense. However, I'd suggest supporting a static link to
a local build within the ice* source trees, so you can still do a separate checkout and have
things 'just work'.

What about the components that are shared between libshout and ice*? Would we just be making those
interfaces public so they could be explicitly shared through libicecommon?

This also doesn't help with the 'm4' module.

> This would add another library dependency to icecast (currently, we have
> dependencies for libcurl (optional), libxml2, pthread, libogg, and
> libvorbis).  This change would add another library (libicecommon in this
> case) to the dependency list.  This would also have the same implication on
> ices.  I do not believe any other XIPH modules/projects share these modules.

No, it's just the icecast-related projects.

 -r