[icecast-dev] Icecast's YP bugs

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Tue Jun 24 22:33:25 PDT 2003

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 15:11, Arc wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 11:34:07AM +1000, Michael Smith wrote:
> > > 2) Should relay icy/x-audiocast stream metadata when connecting to
> > > icecast1/shoutcast/etc so that this information is available to YP
> >
> > Eh? It does. I even tested that with someone's shoutcast stream. It
> > works. Just add
> >   <relay-shoutcast-metadata>1</relay-shoutcast-metadata>
> > to the appropriate <relay>
>
> It's not working... how long has this been in CVS?  Actually all the
> relay entries, even the ones that are relaying Icecast2, have it.
> Here's the entry for "Enemy Combatant Radio"'s hifi MP3 that is not
> working:

Is the metadata relayed to connecting clients. i.e. take a client that
supports shoutcast-style metadata, like winamp (and probably most others).
Connect as a listener to the relay. Do you get metadata? You should. If you
don't, the metadata relaying could have been broken (I think this is
unlikely, though - that code hasn't been changed lately AFAIK)

I couldn't say whether or not this metadata is propogated to the stats core
(and I think from there to the YP update stuff?). Maybe that's what is
missing.

> What's the alternative to <relay-shoutcast-metadata> if you want to
> relay Icecast2 metadata vs shoutcast metadata, so I can fix the
> non-shoutcast entries?  Do you use this for icecast1 servers as well?

This option turns on relaying of shoutcast-protocol mp3 metadata. icecast 1.x
optionally uses this (it also has a second, UDP based, way of doing metadata.
Few clients support it, icecast2 doesn't support it), and icecast2 uses it if
it's using metadata at all.

Mike