[icecast-dev] Icecast's YP bugs

Arc arc at indymedia.org
Tue Jun 24 22:55:11 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 03:33:25PM +1000, Michael Smith wrote:

> Is the metadata relayed to connecting clients. i.e. take a client that
> supports shoutcast-style metadata, like winamp (and probably most others).
> Connect as a listener to the relay. Do you get metadata? You should. If you
> don't, the metadata relaying could have been broken (I think this is
> unlikely, though - that code hasn't been changed lately AFAIK)

Or connect via telnet and see what's really going on ;-)

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
icy-br: 64
icy-genre: Talk
icy-metaint: 8192
icy-name: Enemy Combatant Radio
icy-notice1: <BR>This stream requires Winamp<BR>
icy-notice2: SHOUTcast Distributed Network Audio Server/FreeBSD4 v1.9.2<BR>
icy-pub: 1
icy-url: http://sf.indymedia.org/
Server: Icecast 2.0-alpha2/cvs

Yes, it copies over the icy headers exactly as-is...

Now what's interesting, prehaps this is a bug???  this is the headers as
given by a Icecast2 origionated stream:

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
ice-bitrate: 16
ice-description: SF Indymedia
ice-genre: Talk
ice-name: Enemy Combatant Radio
ice-public: 1
ice-url: http://sf.indymedia.org/
icy-metaint: 16000
Server: Icecast 2.0-alpha2/cvs

notice that, with exception of the last, they're all ice-* not icy-*...
prehaps this is incompatable with the way most players operate to get
stream data?  Is this a typo?

> I couldn't say whether or not this metadata is propogated to the stats core
> (and I think from there to the YP update stuff?). Maybe that's what is
> missing.

I don't know because I don't have a shoutcast server in front of me to
compair it's YP with ours, but yes, Icecast2 is not sending this
information to YP servers.  I would very much prefer if it were to send
it in Icecast2 YP style and not Shoutcast (ICY) style, prehaps running
the field names through a translation table?  Just the three are really
needed, tho song info and bitrate are needed too, but the stream name,
description, and genre are musts... the associated URL would be good
too, the listenurl is provided by Icecast2 itself, and the rest of the
information isnt really that important.

> > What's the alternative to <relay-shoutcast-metadata> if you want to
> > relay Icecast2 metadata vs shoutcast metadata, so I can fix the
> > non-shoutcast entries?  Do you use this for icecast1 servers as well?
>
> This option turns on relaying of shoutcast-protocol mp3 metadata. icecast 1.x
> optionally uses this (it also has a second, UDP based, way of doing metadata.
> Few clients support it, icecast2 doesn't support it), and icecast2 uses it if
> it's using metadata at all.

Is there harm in having it turned on for 1) MP3 streams which origionate
from a Icecast2 server, and 2) for Ogg streams origionating from a
Icecast2 server?  Should it be on or off, in other words, for best
preformance?