[icecast-dev] ambiguity in sample ices config files

Csillag Kristóf fenwick at freemail.hu
Tue Jan 28 10:39:22 PST 2003

[please cc the answers to me, because I'm not on this list!]

Hi there!

Yesterday I downloaded the CVS version of icecast and ices.
There are several example config files provided for ices in the
conf/ directory.

The ices-playlist.xml specifies encoding for one of the instances:

<encode>
        <nominal-bitrate>64000</nominal-bitrate>
        <samplerate>44100</samplerate>
        <channels>2</channels>
</encode>

One would thing that this means that the resulting vorbis stream
will be 64kbps.

But that's not the way things work!

If "managed" is not set to 1, ices does not respect the nominal-bitrate
setting, but uses VBR encoding instead, with the default quality=3.

( See the encode_initialise function in encode.c! )

I think the sample config-file should be modified to illustrate all
possible encoding modes. The current version is definitely misleading.

Best wishes

--
Csillag Kristóf <fenwick at freemail.hu>