[icecast-dev] time out issues with icecast2

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Thu Aug 14 17:54:31 PDT 2003

On Friday 15 August 2003 10:15, Geoff Shang wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Arc wrote:
> > "Origional" Icecast (icecast1) uses ICY protocol for streaming, being
> > compatable with Shoutcast to the point that you can use a Shoutcast
> > client to connect to it.  The same is not true for Icecast2.
>
> This is not correct, or at least is not meant to be.  icecast2 is meant to
> be able to accept connections from ICY sources.  Some people, including
> myself, have experienced problems with this, but as the shoutcast protocol
> is undocumented, it's tricky to fix.  since this is the dev list, I'm sure
> the developers would welcome patches.

Yes, it's _meant_ to support this protocol, but it turned out that the
protocol - though it superficially looks HTTP-like - is, in fact, very
different (in quite crucial ways). So that support doesn't actually work for
shoutcast sources.

Fixing this requires quite a bit of work to abstract out the connection
handling to not require/expect HTTP as the core protocol, and then adding
support for the shoutcast protocol.

Mike