[icecast-dev] time out issues with icecast2

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu Aug 14 17:15:25 PDT 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Arc wrote:

> "Origional" Icecast (icecast1) uses ICY protocol for streaming, being
> compatable with Shoutcast to the point that you can use a Shoutcast
> client to connect to it.  The same is not true for Icecast2.

This is not correct, or at least is not meant to be.  icecast2 is meant to
be able to accept connections from ICY sources.  Some people, including
myself, have experienced problems with this, but as the shoutcast protocol
is undocumented, it's tricky to fix.  since this is the dev list, I'm sure
the developers would welcome patches.

> Icecast2 dumps the ICY protocol for true HTTP.

No, it dumped the audiocast protocol which icecast 1.x accepted.

Geoff.