[icecast-dev] time out issues with icecast2

Arc arc at indymedia.org
Thu Aug 14 11:34:20 PDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:15:33AM -0700, Chris Moyer wrote:
> I was a bit confused by that statement as well Lee. I've done a bit of work
> with mp3PRO using a source developed from scratch and a version of the
> original Icecast modified only trivially to deal with specific metadata
> requirements.

"Origional" Icecast (icecast1) uses ICY protocol for streaming, being
compatable with Shoutcast to the point that you can use a Shoutcast
client to connect to it.  The same is not true for Icecast2.

Icecast2 dumps the ICY protocol for true HTTP.  Ices0.3 can connect to
either Icecast1 or Icecast2, but older Ices0 (before it used libshout2)
cannot nor can many Shoutcast source clients stream to Icecast2.

As far as mp3PRO, it may be compatable with MP3 players, but assuming it
to be compatable with libshout2 is another issue.  I'd ask brendan about
that.  But, again, your first issue is getting an Icecast2 compatable
source client.