[foms] WebVTT implementation in browsers

Harald Alvestrand hta at google.com
Sun Apr 8 06:50:18 UTC 2018

Not relevant to WebVTT, but to the idea of using advancement as a tool to
get browsers to conform....

> In my experience, having a spec at recommendation status is a key
> motivator to get browsers to implement features interoperably.

My experience has been close to the opposite - with WebRTC, customer pull
has been the essential part of getting browsers to implement features, and
that in turn has been a requirement for getting enough work done on the
specs and tests to show conformance to the specs (which does help a bit
towards pushing browsers to conform), and this in turn is a requirement for
advancing along the standards track.