[foms] WebVTT implementation in browsers

Joey Parrish joeyparrish at google.com
Sat Apr 7 22:05:15 UTC 2018

The lack of complete and consistent VTTCue support in browsers led the
Shaka Player team to develop both a plugin system for caption display and
an internal cue structure (which is a superset of VTTCue with
accommodations for TTML concepts).  Even the browsers that support VTTCue
don't seem to implement it fully.

Although the work for all of this has already been done, less code would
always be better than more code.  If I could rely on browser rendering for
cues (and on a full implementation of VTTCue as spec'd), we could delete a
lot of code.