[foms] The State of HTML5 Video

Jeroen Wijering jeroen at longtailvideo.com
Tue Jan 31 00:16:01 PST 2012

Hello John,

We tested the following video on the following devices. Neither of them played the video:

http://content.bitsontherun.com/videos/bkaovAYt-27m5HpIu.webm

1) HTC Legend running 2.2
2) HTC Desire S running 2.3
3) Samsung Galaxy S2 running 2.3

We've since also tested on a Galaxy Nexus running 4.0, which indeed both plays the video and returns "maybe" on the canPlayType query. We'll update the report this week with these findings.

Let us know if we're missing something here. Another weird outcome of our tests was that the Galaxy S2 running 2.3 did play HLS streams, which may indicate Samsung (and HTC?) customizes media support:

http://www.longtailvideo.com/html5/hls

Kind regards,

Jeroen Wijering