[Flac] Increasing number of channels?

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Sat Oct 29 02:04:54 UTC 2016

The stream header only has 3 bits for the channel count, so it's not possible to support more than 8 channels without breaking compatibility with all embedded products that support FLAC, not to mention old and existing software. Part of the benefit of FLAC is that it enjoys such wide support across computer operating systems and embedded devices like audio players and digital recorders - I'd strongly recommend against changing something this low-level just for a little convenience for rare channel counts.

It might be worth losing compatibility with the existing installed base if there were any real advantage to higher channel counts, but there really isn't. FLAC can do extra compression on stereo files, such that one 2-channel FLAC can take less space than two 1-channel FLAC files. However, the compression advantages stop at 2 channels. There is no cross-compression with channels beyond 2. You might as well store separate FLAC files and group them in a directory.

Note that software like ProTools stores each channel in its own file. So, at least the original FLAC format supports more than that. I do often take advantage of the additional compression by converting audio recordings from dual mono files into a single stereo file before compression.

There might still be a solution for you, though. Ogg and other formats can embed FLAC data inside another container, so it might be possible to create a 16-channel "FLAC" in an Ogg container as two 8-channel FLAC files or even as eight stereo FLAC files for maximum compression. I don't know whether Ogg is optimized for streaming such that it could interleave multiple FLAC files this way, but it's worth investigating.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting