[Flac] Increasing number of channels?

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Sat Oct 29 01:24:04 UTC 2016

Per https://xiph.org/flac/faq.html#general__channels currently FLAC
supports 1 through 8 channels. This is fine for 5.1 surround sound (6
channels). But some of the newer surround sound systems can handle many
more channels. Is it still convenient to have all of the audio channels in
one file for, say, a 16 channel audio track?

I don't know much about the history of FLAC. How did this many channels
come to be the number supported? Is there any interest in increasing the
number of channels?

Thanks for all the hard work on FLAC, I continue to get a lot of use out of
FLAC.