[Flac] playback problems with oppo BDP-95

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Sat Feb 5 21:01:27 PST 2011

Thanks for bringing up this aspect, Nicholas.  I seem to recall that
specific hardware has a problem with certain compression levels, but
I cannot recall whether that was limited to just encoding, or
decoding as well.  It could very well be true that I am conflating my
vague memory of encoder limitations with decoder limitations.

It does seem to be that the oppo BDP-95 is exhibiting problems with
particular flac files.  Since my original message, my friend has
installed the latest version of flac and recompressed the exact files
that were giving him a problem before - now with -0 or --fast he
doesn't see a playback problem at all.  So, even though your
statements make total sense to me, the evidence seems to indicate
something about the compressed data that's causing a problem.  The
original audio is not the issue, but how it is compressed.

Here's a thought: Since the encoder looks for polynomials, could it
be possible that certain decoders cannot handle certain polynomials
in real time?

Ah, another possibility is that the oppo BDP-95 implements an older
version of the decoder, and it's merely new flac files that give it a
headache.  My friend happened to have an old version of flac
installed on his computer, 1.1.4, and that reported stream errors
with his files until he upgraded to 1.2.1 - if the oppo has anything
older than 1.2.1 then I suppose that might explain the decoding
problems.

Brian