[Flac] Re: flac fingerprint

David W. Tamkin dattier at panix.com
Sun Oct 14 20:15:00 PDT 2007

Harry,

> why doesn't a ffp file make a md5 of the *whole* flac file, so that
> all non-audio data inside the file are verified too?

Because its purpose is to confirm the integrity of the audio in
situations where it's OK to change the metadata, as it usually is.

Changing the compression options, even if tags and such are unchanged,
also results in a different whole-file MD5 checksum, but the fingerprint
is the same.

> in my opinion, now it only does the same as the internally stored md5
> on the decompressed audio data, but there is still no way to verify
> the header of the flac file (so i mean : all non-audio data in the
> file)

If the file decodes or tests without error, the header is OK.