[Flac] Re: flac fingerprint

David W. Tamkin dattier at panix.com
Sun Oct 14 20:12:08 PDT 2007

Harry,

> so i was wondering what advantages it could give me to make a ffp
> file, because there is already a internally stored md5 checksum on the
> decoded audio data inside the flac file?

Testing the .flac file against its internally stored fingerprint lets
you know that you have a properly encoded .flac file of *something*.  If
you also certify that internally stored fingerprint against a list of
correct fingerprints in another file, then you know you have a properly
encoded .flac file of the *right* audio, and that the person who sent
you the .flac files didn't accidentally provide a wrong file instead.

Yes, a miscreant who would intentionally switch .flac files on you would
also alter the .ffp file to show the fingerprint of the wrong file
instead of the right one, but that could not happen by accident.
Sending a set of .flac files with an .ffp file says, "I wouldn't
deliberately deceive you"; sending a set of .flac files with no
checksums at all says "I never make mistakes."  There are people whom
I'd trust not to deceive me deliberately but nobody from whom I'd accept
a claim of infallibility.

Moreover, if a set of .flac files is being shared, a copy of the
fingerprints can be kept at a URL distributed with them, so that
everyone receiving them can make sure that the fingerprints of the files
(s)he gets match those of the original set.

> i was also wondering how files encoded by using the new
> --keep-existing-metadata option are verified when using -verify. Is
> there a separate internally stored md5 for metadata next to the md5
> for decoded audio data or how is everything verified?

Until we hear from someone who knows, I'd venture to say that --verify
does just what it always did, and it has nothing to do with existing
metadata in the uncompressed input.  As it encodes each segment of the
audio, it re-decodes it and compare the result to the original input.

> Is making a ffp file for such files also possible for the non-audio
> data (so all metadata)?

No, fingerprints are defined only for audio.

Yes: Trader's Little Helper at http://thor.prohosting.com/roh0205/.