[Flac] Flac Files Messed Up By Amarok

Hal Vaughan hal at thresholddigital.com
Wed May 23 18:51:31 PDT 2007

A while back I posted about issues with flac files that were not able to
be decoded.  Here's what I do know:

I've ripped most of my collection to my hard drive using KAudioCreator
and I've specified that they be stored in flac format.  All files play
without trouble through Amarok.  I found out there was a problem when I
had selected files in a playlist and picked "burn" through K3B.  All
the functions worked appropriately, but then I had problems with
burning.  I found that if I just ran "flac -d {filename}" on the
problem files, I always got the same result.  It looked like the file
was completely decoded and saved as a wav file, but then I got this:

flac -d MyFile.flac test

flac 1.1.2, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005  Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac'
for details.

MyFile.flac: done

test: ERROR initializing decoder
      state = FLAC__FILE_DECODER_ERROR_OPENING_FILE

Again, this was *at the end* of decoding, not a the start.

It took me a while, but I found out the files this happened to were
files where I had edited them in Amarok.

I've been rather tied up, but I finally had time to verify two of the
files that were not working.  I've uploaded them to my website, but I
won't be leaving them there long (only a few days), so if a flac
programmer or two can tell me when they're downloaded so I can remove
them, I'd appreciate it.  Here are the links:

http://halblog.com/amj.flac
http://halblog.com/CCC.flac

As you can see from above, I'm using flac 1.1.2.  This is on Ubuntu
Feisty Fawn, which, I'm sure everyone knows, is the latest release.
This problem may be fixed in later versions, but I would hope a
backport and security update is possible, since Ubuntu and, I'm sure,
other distros (like Debian), are still using older versions.

I hope this helps with whatever is going on.  From my perception, it
seems the problem is that Amarok is somehow rewriting the files either
incorrectly or not going by a specific standard.  It seems like this is
one of those bugs where someone else may be making the error, but it
still needs to be allowed for -- but that's just a layman's point of
view and a guess.

Hal