[Flac] Flac Files Messed Up By Amarok

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 13:36:06 PDT 2007

--- Hal Vaughan <hal at thresholddigital.com> wrote:
> flac -d MyFile.flac test
>
> flac 1.1.2, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005  Josh Coalson
> flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and
> you
> are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac'
> for details.
>
> MyFile.flac: done
>
> test: ERROR initializing decoder
>       state = FLAC__FILE_DECODER_ERROR_OPENING_FILE
>
> Again, this was *at the end* of decoding, not a the start.

I think part of the problem is just the command syntax.

 flac -d MyFile.flac test

means "decode MyFile.flac to MyFile.wav, then decode test to test.wav"

so it decodes MyFile.flac, then when it goes to decode "test"
there is no such file.

the error message is a little more helpful in later versions of
flac.

I downloaded the 2 files (amj.flac and CCC.flac) and if I test
them with flac-1.1.4 I get:

$ flac -t *.flac

flac 1.1.4, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007  Josh
Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac' for
details.

CCC.flac: ok
amj.flac: testing, 97% complete

amj.flac: ERROR while decoding data
          state = FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_END_OF_STREAM

I looked at amj.flac and the audio has been truncated somehow.
the truncation is in the very last frame.  not much flac can
really do except recover audio up to that point.

Josh