[Flac] FLAC: sending output to file

Harry Sack tranzedude at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 11:03:04 PDT 2007

2007/4/18, Josh Coalson <xflac at yahoo.com>:

> --- Harry Sack <tranzedude at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using windows so I know the wildcard support for flac is broken.
> > That's
> > why I use this command to encode a whole directory of WAV-files to
> > FLAC-files in a command prompt:
> >
> > for %1 in (*.wav) do flac -V --best "%1"
> >
> > This command is fully working
> >
> > Now I want to write the flac output to a file, so I can open this
> > file
> > later.
> > I tried to add > outputfile.txt to the command like this:
> >
> > for %1 in (*.wav) do flac -V --best "%1" > outputfile.txt
> >
> > But this doesn't work.
>
> using > only captures stdout, but flac messages go to stderr, so
> you need to do
>
> for %1 in (*.wav) do flac -V --best "%1" 2> outputfile.txt
>
> this is true for cmd.exe as well as other unixy shells like bash.
> not sure if it works for command.com though.

thanks a lot, it works! I was also wondering if writing everything to a file
can slow down the FLAC encoding or is it as fast as writing everything to a
command window?
I was wondering if you know where I can find more information about the '2>'
operator for the windows command line? I don't find anything about it (I
usually don't use the command line). Where did you find information about
it?

thx in advance!

Josh