[Flac] FLAC: sending output to file

Harry Sack tranzedude at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 11:08:40 PDT 2007

2007/4/18, Josh Coalson <xflac at yahoo.com>:

> --- Harry Sack <tranzedude at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using windows so I know the wildcard support for flac is broken.
> > That's
> > why I use this command to encode a whole directory of WAV-files to
> > FLAC-files in a command prompt:
> >
> > for %1 in (*.wav) do flac -V --best "%1"
> >
> > This command is fully working
> >
> > Now I want to write the flac output to a file, so I can open this
> > file
> > later.
> > I tried to add > outputfile.txt to the command like this:
> >
> > for %1 in (*.wav) do flac -V --best "%1" > outputfile.txt
> >
> > But this doesn't work.
>
> using > only captures stdout, but flac messages go to stderr, so
> you need to do
>
> for %1 in (*.wav) do flac -V --best "%1" 2> outputfile.txt

sorry, I replyed to quickly that it fully worked, but it's not fully
working, only the output of the last file is saved to the outputfile.
So only the output of the last file in the directory is saved to the
outputfile (I think the outputfile is overwritten every time for each file).
Do you know how I can write the output of EACH file to the same outputfile?
I can't figure it out how to do this. So I want to have an outputfile that
has all the FLAC output of each file.

thanks in advance!

this is true for cmd.exe as well as other unixy shells like bash.