[Flac] FLAC and ID3

Ron Cococcia ron.cococcia at request.com
Thu Jan 6 11:46:22 PST 2005

> ID3 support was only dropped in the plugins.  libFLAC still can
> decode FLAC files that have ID3 tags (v1 or v2).  it just ignores
> them and there are no plans to change that in the future.

OK, that's what I thought, but wanted to be sure.  I've been updating
some metadata handling routines in our application and heard something
about this and was curious.

> the spec still does not require compliant implementations to
> support ID3 on FLAC, so other apps may choke.  unless you're
> really tied to ID3 for some reason it's safer to migrate.
> are you using it for something that FLAC metadata doesn't
> have?

Besides the album art data (JPG files which are currently stored in
ID3v2 APIC tags), everything else can be stored as vorbis comments.
Since I haven't kept myself up-to-date with FLAC, were there things
added recently to it that might support this?

I have the application update both ID3 and vorbis comments when metadata
changes.  It became a problem because of a compatibility issue between
versions of our application, where the older versions don't look at the
vorbis comments at all.  If ID3 tags were to become unusable on FLAC
files there might have been some extra work to do on my end (which isn't
really a big deal).

Thanks Josh!