[Flac] FLAC and ID3

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 11:17:33 PST 2005

--- Ron Cococcia <ron.cococcia at request.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I heard from a coworker that there was something that changed
> recently
> with FLAC and ID3.  I don't have ANY details on what that means, and
> was
> wondering what has changed.  The only thing I see (in the changelog)
> is
> that plugins have removed support for ID3 tags.
>
> I'm curious because I have been using ID3 tags with FLAC (I store
> extra
> data such as album art with my media files, and ID3v2 tags allow me
> do so).  Will this continue to be OK, or is 1.1.1 breaking that
> compatibility?  Not that I like ID3v2 or anything, it's not very
> pleasant to work with.

ID3 support was only dropped in the plugins.  libFLAC still can
decode FLAC files that have ID3 tags (v1 or v2).  it just ignores
them and there are no plans to change that in the future.

the spec still does not require compliant implementations to
support ID3 on FLAC, so other apps may choke.  unless you're
really tied to ID3 for some reason it's safer to migrate.
are you using it for something that FLAC metadata doesn't
have?

Josh