[Flac] FLAC and ID3

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 21:47:50 PST 2005

--- Ron Cococcia <ron.cococcia at request.com> wrote:
> > the spec still does not require compliant implementations to
> > support ID3 on FLAC, so other apps may choke.  unless you're
> > really tied to ID3 for some reason it's safer to migrate.
> > are you using it for something that FLAC metadata doesn't
> > have?
>
> Besides the album art data (JPG files which are currently stored in
> ID3v2 APIC tags), everything else can be stored as vorbis comments.
> Since I haven't kept myself up-to-date with FLAC, were there things
> added recently to it that might support this?

you could use the C or C++ API to add an APPLICATION metadata
block for it (see
http://flac.sourceforge.net/format.html#def_APPLICATION).  if
metaflac supported adding arbitrary APPLICATION blocks then
you could do it that way with just a script.

I can help out with more info if you're interested in doing it
either one of those ways.  the only roadblock would be if you
are using some other apps/libraries not under your control that
expect cover art to be in id3v2 tags.

Josh