[Flac] Encoding Options

Oskar L. oskar at rbgi.net
Tue Feb 1 23:31:36 PST 2005

Thanks for the reply!

> for the "best" compression:
>
> --super-secret-totally-impractical-compression-level

Are there any more secret options?

> takes forever on my system (athlon 2500+) and sometimes results in
> larger files. so i just stick with -8 -V --lax --no-padding.

Took about 20 minutes for a 3 minute long file on my old 900MHz laptop,
not too impractical in my oppinion.

> -V to ensure the encode was vail
> --no-padding to save a few more bytes, as "The encoder writes a PADDING
> block of 4096 bytes by default." though 4kb over 3000 tracks is ~11 megs

If I have understood correctly, there is no reason to use --lax with
-8/--best, because -8/--best will not create any non-subset files. I don't
use --no-padding because then the whole file have to be rewritten when I
add tags. Instead I remove the padding with metaflac after I have tagged
my files. And I like using --replay-gain too!

> I never use seektables because winamp seeks just fine. So as long as the
> applications your going to use flac in can handle flac files without a
> seek table dont' include it as its a few more bytes:)

The thing is that I might want to share my files with others, and I don't
know what applications they will use to play the files. So I want to know
if any of the most commonly used applications need or can make use of the
seektable?

Oskar