[Flac] Encoding Options

Chris cl at enposte.net
Tue Feb 1 10:09:27 PST 2005

for the "best" compression:

--super-secret-totally-impractical-compression-level

takes forever on my system (athlon 2500+) and sometimes results in
larger files. so i just stick with -8 -V --lax --no-padding.

-V to ensure the encode was vail
--no-padding to save a few more bytes, as "The encoder writes a PADDING
block of 4096 bytes by default." though 4kb over 3000 tracks is ~11 megs

i'm guessing --best is what it is because if -l was any higher or the
settings tuned for higher compression it would become like the above
option, totally impractical.

if you dont' want to stream just use --lax (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

I never use seektables because winamp seeks just fine. So as long as the
applications your going to use flac in can handle flac files without a
seek table dont' include it as its a few more bytes:)

chris