[Flac] Tweaking params for 24 bit?

Stephan Grossklass sgrossklass at t-online.de
Sat Apr 23 15:09:33 PDT 2005

Hi,

I frequently encode multi-hour radio recordings in 44.1 kHz 24 bit
stereo and am currently using the -6 setting with verify (via the "FLAC
frontend" application). Would there be any parameter(s) that may lead to
noticeably better compression without increasing encoding time a lot?
(My machine isn't the most powerful in the world, even with two CPUs
(see sig).) Currently compression rates are hovering around 43% or so,
with dynamic data rates rarely exceeding 1000-1100 kbps (with the
minimum being approx. half that on background noise). Encoding speeds
are multiples of realtime but as you can guess it does take a while
(maybe half an hour for a 3 hour file or so, plus another ~15 minutes to
save the stuff as WAV in Audacity prior to compression).

BTW (re: the "standard encoding rates" thread), the FM tuna I use for
recording is pretty much dead flat up to ~16 kHz frequency response
wise, with a fairly but not extremely steep drop beyond that. (Thus I'd
be wary about using 32 kHz for recording here.) Up to 19 kHz would be
possible provided you get the 19 kHz pilot tone canceled out properly,
but usually pilot tone cancellation needs some support in the form of a
lowpass.

Another note, I found that the 1.1.2 Winamp FLAC plugin fixed the
handling of long files (>1 h) vs. 1.1.1 and was wondering why this isn't
mentioned in the changelog? Incidentally Winamp's own wavefile plugin
still has issues when seeking beyond 2 hours or so. ;)
The function of the "show average bitrate" checkbox is desrever, btw -
it does what it's supposed to when *un*checked.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W