[flac-dev] Enabling universal building of libFLAC

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 15:45:54 UTC 2022

Hi all,

As is being discussed here: https://github.com/xiph/flac/issues/453 libFLAC
has some issues building on MacOS. More specifically, building for aarch64
and x86_64 at the same time.

The problem here is that autotools and CMake expect to configure for one
architecture at a time. Also, code is dependent on that configuration, and
not on runtime variables.

It seems a challenge to me: we need both configuration and building to be
aware of stuff being built in parallel for two architectures. Also, it is
important not to break anything on other architectures, so we might need
both approaches: relying on either run-time arch for MacOS and on static
configuration for other systems.

I do not have Apple hardware nor any experience with this. I can't seem to
find much documentation on porting autotools or CMake scripts for Apple's
universal builds. If there is anyone here up for this challenge, do not
hesitate to let me know :)

Kind regards, Martijn van Beurden