[flac-dev] Higher compression modes from Flake

Ben Allison benski at winamp.com
Wed Mar 13 19:06:51 PDT 2013

Flake is a completely independent codebase.  When I used it years ago, I
remember it being not only better compression but significantly faster as
well.  I believe some of the techniques used in libflake were added to
libFLAC in 1.1.4.  However, some of the improved compression in flake was
due to options that are outside the FLAC 'subset', such as larger
blocksize, greater number of prediction coefficients, and higher-order
Rice codes.

-Ben Allison