[flac-dev] Higher compression modes from Flake

Pierre-Yves Thoulon pierre-yves.thoulon at centraliens.net
Thu Mar 14 01:27:37 PDT 2013

Speaking of better compression, I've been using the following options on
the command line for ages. I'm not sure what they actually do (stole the
recipe from a thread on this mailing list, if I remember right), but they
seem to improve the compression ratio over just using --best (by 0.3 to
0.5% typically), without any obvious impact on the compression time (not
that I measured that scientifically, mind you...)

--apodization=tukey(0.25) --apodization=gauss(0.1875)

Any one who would care to comment on what this does ?

Thanks,
Pyt.