[flac-dev] [flac 1.3.0pre2 pre-release] Updates to test suite

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Tue Mar 12 19:40:27 PDT 2013

Jaren Stangret wrote:

> Interestingly, I noticed compression level '0' is omitted, so I've added it
> in.

Thanks.

> Also, I tested this on a 24bit/96kHz FLAC file and the test failed between
> compression level 0 and compression level 1 -- the file size was greater
> with a compression level of 1, rather than 0.  The test works on
> 'noisy-sine.wav'.  It may be worth trying to run this test on a variety of
> FLAC files (multiple channels, multiple bps, multiple sample rates, etc).

Compression levels are always highly dependent on the source material. This
particular test was added to test for the most gross kind of regressions
like the one I fixed in fc360735ce4d1aa88a94bfccdd3bea5bdd19a8d6.

When and if we come to update/improve FLAC's core compression code, that
is when we would need a more comprehensive test for compressed file sizes.

At this point, I think what we have is sufficient.

Cheers,
Erik