[flac-dev] Updated MSVC patch

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Fri Mar 8 16:01:22 PST 2013

Ben Allison wrote:

> Yes, they are necessary.  Here is the rationale
>
> 1) FLAC/ordinals.h is a public header file, so replacing this file with an
> MSVC-compatible version is not only the responsibility of a developer
> building libFLAC, but also a developer using libFLAC.

I was aware of that.

> 2) Mistakes made by a developer supplying a custom implementation of
> FLAC/ordinals.h

The comments in that file specifically pointed to two known good
BSD licensed stdint.h implementations.

> and trying to link against a pre-built libFLAC.dll can
> lead to ABI incompatibility.

That can happen any time people use a prebuilt binary produced
by a different compiler.

> but Visual Studio 2008 and prior represent a huge portion of
> developers.

I find it difficult to believe that developers sophisticated enough to
actually use the FLAC API, are not smart enough to read the comments
above the <stdint.h> include and grab one of the linked implementations.

Anyway, regardless of all that, I have relented and included an
MSVC < 2010 section in that file with the logic switched around a bit
and some comments.

I would like to know how many years I have to wait before we can ditch
this stuff.

I intend to do some testing on platforms I have available today and
roll a second pre-release after my testing.

Erik