[flac-dev] Flac and SourceForge

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Dec 27 03:30:25 PST 2012

Hi Ralph, hi Erik (please, please read this).

On 17.12.2012, at 21:34, Ralph Giles wrote:

> On 12-12-17 10:08 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>> ok, you're added now.
>
> Confirmed. Thanks for looking after us!

Hi Ralph,

now it would be nice if you could use that new power to either turn
  http://flac.sourceforge.net/

into a redirect to
  https://www.xiph.org/flac/

or alternatively to put the new website onto the SF.net webserver.

Moreover: If I find some spare time, I'd like to submit some website patches. But considering the state of things, I am afraid that my work may go to complete waste if I do it now, before it is clear how you want to proceed. In particular:

1) Status of the flac website repository: As I pointed out, there is a copy of the website in flac.git, which has diverged from the new website in flac-website.git. How do you want to proceed with that? For three alternatives on how to deal with that, and a discussion of issues with either of them, please see my other email (<http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/flac-dev/2012-December/003534.html>).

2) Regardless of the outcome of the above: I think I would for now base changes on flac-website.git, assuming that no matter how you resolve the above, it can't hurt much more to work based on that. Right?

3) Please make a noise if you have any preference on what kind of system you prefer for the website code:
 a) you don't care at all, as long as it works
 b) PHP
 c) SSI (server side includes)
 d) static website generator (either a trivial self-written script, or an off-the-shelf-solution)
 e) something else (Ruby on Rails, ...)

You see, if it is one of b-d, I could change the flac-website to that, as well as make some improvements, the next time I find a couple hours of spare time. But what I really hate is to invest such work to make, say, an SSI conversion, only to find out afterwards that you guys hate SSI and my work was for nothing. So, please, just make some indication that work on one of these would not be a total waste of time.

Cheers,
Max