[Flac-dev] Variable Bit Rate

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Mon May 23 12:54:39 PDT 2011

On May 23, 2011, at 12:09, Dennis Brunnenmeyer wrote:
> Am I right in assuming that in order to deal with potential latency
> issues,  an application needs a sufficiently large FIFO buffer as
> well as the proper decoder?
Basically, yes.  It does not need to be strictly labeled as a FIFO,
but the order should certainly be preserved in whatever buffer is
used.  The streaming software could be as simple as decoding to a WAV
file and then starting playback after a sufficient amount of data has
been collected.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting