[Flac-dev] FLAC is dead?

Declan Kelly flac-dev at groov.ie
Mon Jan 10 14:19:09 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 02:59:23PM -0500, grarpamp at gmail.com wrote:

> Sure, basics :) Again, I'm meaning in regard to about bugs, docs,
> porting and nits.

And packaging by OS distributions (making the RPM and DEB files).

> Yep, if you can get their TOC tables to agree. cdparanoia, eac and
> cdda2wav do differ at times with this. It took raw scsi/ata commands
> to figure out who was right. A minor example of an unfixed fixable.

The various CDDB databases (and more accurate sites like Discogs) have
more than unreliable TOC reading to worry about. When ripping using
abcde, I regularly have to choose between 2 or more freedb choices where
different users typed in different versions of song titles. And that's
without taking into account bonus tracks or reissue/remaster jobs that
change the durations of what should be the same tracks in the TOC.

> So it's the only feasible explanation for the starvation, unofficially official.
> http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/technics_dj/prod_default_analog.asp

The best explanation I read (and I spent a few hours over the weekend
reading assorted blogs and web boards) is that they no longer have them
in constant production, so the prices can go up and down depending on
the global supply. Just because they are not making them *today* does
not mean they have stopped, and market supply/demand explains the sane
price becoming less sane.

> Not quite. Only the Stanton ST.150 competes at par. I recently tried
> both side by side and went ST.150. It is a solid tank.

Have you tried using the Audio Technica AT-PL120 deck? I've read a lot
of reviews based on "we looked at pictures of it" but nothing based on
using it. Of all the also-ran decks, it's one of the closest in looks to
the Technics range.

--
-Dec.
---