[Flac-dev] Bugfix release?

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Fri Jul 23 05:30:01 PDT 2010

I am not aware of any bugs, which is probably why you do not see a
steady stream of releases.  I actually find this quite reassuring,
since I prefer a highly stable and dependable tool as opposed to one
which is frequently updated.  Every update brings the potential for
new bugs.

If you have a bug to report, then please mention it.  Otherwise, just
asking for a new release is probably not something that is productive
in itself.  I do not intend any offense, I just think that we need a
good reason to want an update, rather than just creating more work.

P.S.  My main use of FLAC is to archive original recordings of live
performances.  These are usually 24-bit, 48 kHz recordings, but
sometimes higher sample rates.  Files are typically AIFF or CAF (the
latter requires intermediate conversion) and mono, but sometimes I
will manually combine a stereo pair if my recording system does not
already allow that.  When a single day's recordings can fill an 8.5
GB Dual Layer DVD, it becomes important to compress, but lossless is
an absolute must for original master recordings.  Also, one of my
recording platforms - the Sound Devices 702 - records directly to
stereo FLAC, simplifying my archival process.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting