[Flac-dev] Compiling static libFLAC.a still requires libogg.dylib

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Mon Aug 16 19:57:38 PDT 2010

On Aug 16, 2010, at 16:44, Glenn McCord wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to compile a static lib of libFLAC yet whenever I use
> it in an application, the application will fail on other machines
> because it's trying to use libogg.0.dylib.
>
> I'm using the following configure command
>
> ./configure prefix=${HOME}/libFLAC --disable-asm-optimizations
> --disable-dependency-tracking --with-ogg=${HOME}/libOGG
> --enable-shared=no
>
> but to do avail. Is there something else that I need to do? I'm on
> OSX, if that matters.

A couple of things,

As long as you link to a .dylib, it won't be completely static.  The
FLAC part might be static, but the OGG part is still going to be
dynamic unless you rebuild some kind of libogg.a that is also static,
first.

There is also a configure/build option, I remember, to build the FLAC
library without any Ogg support.  That could be a serious omission,
but if it works it should remove the libogg.dylib dependency.

I'm also on OSX, having created the installer, but I have not tried
to divorce FLAC from Ogg.  When I saw the dependency, I just
downloaded Ogg and built it, too.  In your case, you may have to
build Ogg differently, or remove it completely, as I mention above.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting