[Flac-dev] (Universal) Ambisonic implementation

Martin Leese martin.leese at stanfordalumni.org
Tue Sep 22 18:09:04 PDT 2009

Brian Willoughby <brianw at sounds.wa.com>

> Isn't there a standard option to place FLAC data within an Ogg
> container?  I don't use it myself, but I understand that it is quite
> popular.  Would it be possible to interleave multiple FLAC blocks
> this way?  In other words, can Ogg suffice as the second level of
> grouping that you refer to?

Etienne was asking for more channels in the
FLAC stream, so I was trying to put some meat
on Josh's bare bones statement that it "would
actually be a lot of work and require extensions
to the flac format".

Having multiple FLAC streams in an Ogg
container would, indeed, provide a second
level of grouping -- actually grouping in
chunks of eight, but that works.  The problem
then becomes where to put the metadata.

The metadata could still go in the (multiple)
FLAC streams, as you suggested, but should
more logically be up in the Ogg container.
Currently, the only place available in Ogg is as
name-value pairs in an OggSkeleton stream.
After OggSkeleton has become well supported
then metadata can go into its own stream, but
we are not there yet.  There does not seem to
be a neat solution.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org