[Flac-dev] (Universal) Ambisonic implementation

e deleflie edeleflie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 19:00:09 PDT 2009

Hi Martin,

One of the designed features of UA is no mandatory information is lost
if the metadata is lost.

So it would be ok to have the metadata in the Ogg wrapper (and not in
the FLAC streams). In any case, if the FLAC streams are limited to 8
channels, then there's no clean way to split up a 16 channel 3rd order
file. The first 8 channels would contain 1st order and most of the
second order channels, the second 8 channels would contain a few
second order channels and the rest of the 3rd order ones.

Its messy but workable. And its actually a very similar predicament to
WavPack in that the metadata would be contained in the top level
wrapper, and not in the channels. A bigger question is what is the
useability/user experience patterns around encoding/exploding 16
channel into 2 lots of 8 in a parent container ... can it be done in
one command?

Etienne