[Flac-dev] wav to flac corruption

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Tue Feb 5 18:07:07 PST 2008

Matthew,

I don't think I can answer your entire question, but I will list a
few pieces of information.

1) I regularly convert very large AIFF files, up to 4 GB, using
flac.  I sometimes work with WAV, and that seems to work, too.  On my
Mac, I can play flac files just fine in Play.app, VLC, and my own
software.

2) What do you mean the flac "files do not work"?  You mean they
don't play?  They will only play from software with full support for
the flac format, which means many popular applications will not work.

3) I have not heard of "flac123" - perhaps this program is out of
date or is missing support.  Maybe the author(s) of flac123 will
comment.

4) Those warning mean that your Broadcast Wave File (BWF) is being
converted to standard audio flac, without any of the metadata from
the BWF.  You'll need to use --keep-foreign-metadata if there is any
importance to having the original BWF restored later.  However, if
all you need is the audio and none of the other information, then you
can safely ignore these warnings.  FLAC always preserves all of the
audio losslessly, you only ever have to worry about losing non-audio
data.

5) You can only split a flac file if your splitting program
understands the format.  You should learn the FLAC library and see
what kind of support it has for breaking a stream.  If you use other
tools to split the file without knowledge of the FLAC format, you
will lose data.  In other words, you must develop a new program,
maybe called "flacsplit," to do this, because wavsplit will not work
on FLAC (unless they parse the FLAC format correctly as well as WAV).

I hope some of this information helps.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting